Monday, January 12, 2009

I became a mum 8 years ago

Today is the birthday of my eldest boy, Jonathan. The reason I think today is especially memorable for me is because I became a mother exactly 8 years ago. One thing I never thought about in my younger single days and early marriage days was that I would become a mother. Parenting was NOT my thing. Taking care of another needy human being was not my cup of tea. Learning to take care of a fragile baby was simply not done. Waking up in the middle of the night to calm a crying baby was NOT something I would consider. And yet, that was what I did. I had become a mother, not just in giving birth to him, but in cherishing my role as his main protector and care-giver, as someone who would risk everything to give him the best. Those of you who do not think you can ever be maternal, come talk to me. I assure you, you build up maternal instincts when the time is right.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAREST JONATHAN LOH KAH HOONG!

No comments: