Thursday, October 22, 2009

Addictions

It is strange. I don't need to be addicted to illegal things to truly understand what it means to be addicted to something. So what am I addicted to?
Some of you may have noticed me reading a very thick book during the exam season. I was so addicted to it that I could not put it down. I had to read on, keep at it until I finished it. I even spent one night until almost 4am to finish the book. That day was still a working day and it was tiring. But I probably was surviving on the adrenaline rush of having to get the Form 3 cheerleaders ready for a gig that night. The stress was great but, surprisingly, I got through the day and night. I only got home at 10:30 that night. When I got home, I still managed a few pages of the book! Surely that was asking for trouble. I kept at it until I finished the novel - all five hundred over pages of it. And when I finished it, what did I do? I started reading another book, by the same author. Yeah I have finished it as well.
What's the other thing I am addicted to? I have already mentioned it in passing in another post. It is the Facebook's Restaurant City. I know I am addicted when I woke up at 5am and went straight to check the restaurant. I know I am addicted when I asked a friend to take care of the restaurant for me while I am at work. I know I am addicted when I bug my students and ex-students to trade with me.
So how am I going to deal with it? I will just have to live with it, at least until I reach level 32!!!No, I am going to prioritise. I will play, but it will not take over my life, my time and my family.

No comments: