Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Certified BPPV sufferer

Yes, Dr Anura from the UMMC has pretty much certified that I have BPPV. Refer to a previous post on what it is. Basically what it does to me is that I get the SPINS when I lie down certain positions. What happened at the UMMC was that the doc gave me a few tests. She made me close my eyes, with hands in front, walk / march on the spot. Instead I walked a few steps without realizing it. Then I was given a goggle-like device and the nurse placed it on my eyes as the doc lowered me to a horizontal position, on my right. The spinning was horrible. I felt nauseous and wanted to throw up but it got a bit better after a while. I was turned to my left after that and the spinning and nausea came back. Ugh it was BAD! After some time with the doc, I was allowed to go out to the waiting area. While waiting, I threw up. Good thing I had my air sickness bag with me!!!! I couldn't walk, so my friend collected my medication for me. Thank God for such a good friend. I am indeed grateful that she was with me through out my time at the UMMC yesterday.
In the meantime, I can only take my medicine and hope for the best. Maybe next week or so I will have to start my physical therapy called the The Epley Maneuver and its variations or perhaps the Brandt-Daroff exercises. Whichever and whatever the name, this is NOT going to be fun! Looks like this is going to be a case of the treatment being worse than the problem. I am praying for strength to undergo the exercises and to keep my head straight.

No comments: