Monday, April 4, 2011

Dealing with incompetent people

The weekend that has gone by was a frustrating one. It was a lot of things, but frustration ruled the 2 days that I had to work.
Firstly was on Saturday, when I attended a session on teaching the literature component in English. It was held in a hotel in Shah Alam that I shall not mention.
Everything was fine until we were supposed to leave. We went down to the basement where we parked our car and found the entire basement smoky. Actually it was foggy as we could smell the anti-aedes fogging chemicals. We tried to drive out of there. It was impossible. The visibility was only about 2-3 metres. We could NOT find the exit point. I was worried about banging into a pillar or a wall. Or another car. What were we to do? I finally called my buddy who was still in the lobby, and asked her to inform the hotel security the problem we were having. One very young security guard made an appearance (he looked like he was 18-19 yrs old) and pointed to the exit. STUPID BOY!!!! Visibility was so low it was not safe or possible to drive to wherever he had pointed at. I told him that and in the end he walked to the exit and we all drove slowly behind him. All these while I was wondering what in the world made the hotel management agree to have fogging done at that time of day in a basement that does not have good ventilation. By the time I got outside, I was almost nauseated by the fumes of the chemicals. From there I drove to Bkt Kiara for the SOX event. There began my next frustration.
The cheerleaders were there on that day for a day of cheer clinic as well as other activities. I got there at 5pm. And when I got there, what I saw made my blood boil. The children were all being made to do either hip-hop, capoeira, stomping or body combat. These were all physically demanding activities. And they were all going to be in competition the next day. I duly marched to the event organisers and told them off. They argued that it was just a short session. I fought back and told them to stop. And I pulled my girls out of the activities. And I asked the girls if they had had their tea break and it was NO. I argued with those people and told them the kids were all tired out. Some were already feeling sick and dehydrated. It was frustrating arguing with those people. One of the guys leading the activities argued that it was fun and good to build up their fitness. I got mad and raised my voice and said this : If you want to build up fitness, do it weeks before, not the day before the competition! He argued that he took care of Floor Fever and Wakaka (two dance teams) and it was no problem. I told him off. His dance teams are fit, but not my girls and they were not going to join the activities and perform that night. He gave me the dirtiest look possible. Not like I cared.
Then later that night, after I had left, I found out that they only had the drawing of lots at 11pm! So ridiculous! So angry!
The next day was competition day. I got there before 8am. Then I found out more things that made me angry. Dinner the previous night was bad. There was no briefing about the competition. Breakfast was still not ready at 8am. Then when they finally started competition, it started more than one hour later than scheduled. Then I found out there was going to be a dance-off to narrow down to 4 teams. I was really upset. Why were we not told earlier?
By then I was ready to either pull out or just give up. The whole event was extremely badly organised.
What was important was not the result. We were not in the top 4. It doesn't matter. What was also frustrating was the girls. The uniform issue was not settled until Sunday morning itself. The teams did not have the drive to win. Some members were not displaying the ability they actually have.
Yes it was a frustrating weekend. I was drained physically and emotionally. When I got home last night, I could barely keep my eyes open anymore. This morning, getting up for work was tough. I wished I could just continue sleeping. I had a lingering headache. My whole body was aching. I just wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep off the tiredness of the 2 days. But I made it to work. I was zombified half the day but I managed to do my work.
Well, that was my frustrating and tiring weekend. I am glad I don't have to face those incompetent people again for now. I have to decide though, if I want to try the wildcard thing. That .... is another story and will take another blog post.

No comments: